Monday, December 6, 2010

Yeshe, the smiling face at Wongdhen

Thinking back to the many wonderful events in our trip, this is the first year that faces have stood out as much to me as our experiences in the holy places. As a result, I would like to introduce you to some of our new friends. If you would like an email pal please let me know. I think some of these folks might enjoy corresponding and practicing English.

Yeshe


The first time I saw her she was smiling. Who knows if the corners of her lips turned up or not, but the smile was deep in the waters of her eyes. So deep it seemed to come from the very core of her being. Over the next few days, her soft smiling expression rarely changed, although sometimes that smile was obvious on her lips and in the creases next to her eyes.

Of course she had the smile that makes one take notice, but there was more. Ever-cheerful, she got us a private car, directions, money changers, anything we needed she had some answer for.

One day, she offered to take me to the tailors after work. And we had a good laugh that she almost forgot. At the tailors, she was surprised to discover I was ordering clothes for an entire Sangha. She patiently helped me choose between sixteen colors of maroon and twelve colors of gold, six weights of cotton and terry-cot blend.

During the walk and in between fabrics I learned that she used to live elsewhere, where she was a hair stylist. She recently came to Delhi, her dream to save enough money to go to Europe to a famous hair styling school and then to get a job in Europe or the states. I figure if she goes then she would end up in New York or Paris or Milano in the fashion industry. I was happy to hear her uncle would pay for half, leaving her to raise funds only for the other half.

Our trip the the tailor ended suddenly and on a sad note, as his daughter had fallen and he disappeared. It all turned out OK later, but that day Yeshe and I were left standing at the desk with no good news and concerned faces. We returned to Wongdhen house and she departed for her cousin's.

Every time I saw Yeshe at the desk I was happy. I am not sure what qualities were so resonate, but I just felt at home every time I saw her. We left her a special big tip before we left for Nepal, and I also gave her chocolate and a Kind Bar. I wonder if she liked it -- I did not have time to ask.

When we came back from Nepal, on the day of the arrival of the whole group, there was a mix-up with our rooms (not her fault) and we ended up having to split the group between two hotels. Keep in mind that the later in the day you check in, the less likely you are to get the rooms you wanted, as people are never sure if you are actually going to show up. But on the third visit to Wondgdhen house, even arriving at 9 PM, everything was back in order. And Yeshe told me with a proud smile that she had made every effort during the day to hold the rooms correctly.

One thing about India is that almost everyone aspires to go somewhere and learn something. I hope that Yeshe gets the chance to study in Europe. She deserves it.

(Yeshe is pronounced yee shee, high in your front teeth)

No comments:

Post a Comment