Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If it's Tuesday this must be Jaipur!

First I must issue a disclaimer: there is no possible way I can accurately describe all of the amazing experiences I have had since I embarked on my India journey. Having said that I will try to give a brief update on some of the adventures.

Today is our second day in Jaipur. What a contrast from the calm, meditative atmosphere of the Tibetan villages in the foothills of the Himalayans! On Saturday we left the magical city of Tso Pema (Lake Rewalser) and had a somewhat harrowing bus ride along winding, narrow, mountain switchbacks. Hats off to our skillful bus driver who delivered us safely to Chandigarth where we spent the night. On Sunday morning our group hit the road again. Some opted to fly and others of took the bus. I chose to ride the bus so I could take in the sights along the roads and highways as we traveled south from Himachal Pradesh to the city of Jaipur in Rahjastan.

Along the way we stopped and had lunch at a restaurant that advertised it serves "hygienic" food, and for the most part, there was truth in advertising. The predominantly Hindu city of Jaipur is 180 degrees opposite of the sublime and spiritual Tibetan colonies of the north. The frenetic atmosphere of the Pink City, Jaipur, is a colorful, carnivalesque cacaphony of sights, smells, and sounds bombarding the senses.

Yesterday was an unbelivable day. We toured the Hawa Mahal (Wind Palace) in the morning. Then a few friends and I visited a Gem shop and were invited to have dinner with the charming family of the shop owner. We had a first hand experience of the fabled Indian hospitality as they opened their home to us and served us the most tasty meal of dahl, pompadom, chapatis, rice, and a vegetable dish with cauliflower (aloo ?). When I got back to our hotel, Beth shared that she was invited to attend a wedding that was taking place near by. Earlier in the day she had observed the wedding procession, the groom was riding a top an elephant making his way to the festivities. Needless to say I had to tag along. The groom's family was more than gracious and welcomed our ragtag group of wedding crashers to their party. This was a huge affair including fireworks. The groom's younger sister insisted that we come dance with them. We obliged and had the best of times. Many of the adorable children approached us and posed for pictures.

We had to tear ourselves away from the party, as Beth had yet another Indian experience in store for us. Back at the hotel we received Mehendi henna designs stained on our hands.

I could hardly sleep last night after all of the stimulating experiences of my day.
I suppose I should end this post now. I could go on and on but I think I should take a brief rest before our next excursion.

Namaste,

Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment