Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Elephants in Jaipur

A quick post before leaving for dinner.

FYI my two little boys, and all friends reading: today I rode an elephant. Last night a wedding party danced through the streets leading to our hotel. 100 people all dressed up, the groom and his father riding in a box on an elephant's back, drumming, men carrying huge lanterns (powered by a generated being peddled by a bike rickshaw behind the elephant), and fireworks - found out at breakfast that two people in our group had been invited (on the sidewalk) to join the wedding party and were there dancing, eating, drinking until 3am!

Went shopping today for jewelry and had another nail biting autorickshaw ride with an Obama loving Jaipur man. I have been making movies from my seat on those rides and I am grateful that those who know and love me are not witnessing me riding in real time these contraptions through the mahem of traffic in Jaipur. WHEEEE. More curry, more chai and the ubiquitous "omelette" breakfast keeps me going, as well as a firm foundation created by 7am yoga on the terrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment